Darryl Bauman, one of our main Bentley genealogy researchers, had a major breakthrough in the fall of 2007 while researching the maternal line of Viola Turpin, wife of Benjamin Albert Bentley. This has added literally dozens of generations to our family tree and ties our family to numerous noble houses and royal families of Europe. Many of these families have had and continue to have a major effect on world events and history. I am very excited about Darryl's find, it has enabled me to not only leap a brick wall that vexed us both for years but will keep me busy for a very long time (I have no reason to ever be bored). I only wish he were still here to share the excitement with. We had to say our last goodby this spring. Darryl's obit is at the bottom of this page. I miss you my cousin and my friend.
Barnett Bentley was born Bet. 1815 - 1818 in Georgia, and died Bet. October 1878 - June 1880 in Texas.
He married (1) Melinda Brashear August 16, 1849 in Woodville?, Tyler Co., Texas, daughter of James Brashear and Mary Jones. She was born Bet. 1826 - 1833 in Arkansas Terr., later became White Co., Arkansas, and died Bet. July 1860 - August 1861 in Woodville?, Tyler co., Texas.
He married (2) Rebecca Hensarling August 14, 1861 in Woodville, Tyler Co., Texas, daughter of Louis Hensarling and Margaret Mott. She was born 1835 in Jones Co., Mississippi, and died in Texas.
Notes for Barnett Bentley: According to the 1850 & 1860 Census of Tyler Co., Texas Barnett was born in Georgia. Nolan Hensarling has told me that he believes he was born in Florida. I have found no hard evidence to say he was born in either state though there is evidence that an individual known as Barnett Bentley did live in Florida before coming to Texas. Samuel and Johnathan are listed below as Barnett's brothers but that is at this point speculation on my part based on archival records that I have discovered.
Texas General Land Office Land Grant Search
There are more land records available for him in Tyler County, Texas. I need to get them.
*While Samuel Bentley and Johnathan B. Bentley are listed as siblings of Barnett, there is not 100% proof of this relationship. The assumption of this relationship is based on Voters lists, Muster rolls and Census records (1840-1860) that place these individuals in the same places at the same times and that show them as being born within a few years of one another in Georgia. Given this data it is reasonable to assume that they may all three be brothers or related in some other way. It is only an assumption. I have no hard evidence to show they are related.
Notes for Melinda Brashear: In 1920 Census, son John Franklin Bentley, lists his mother as being born in Tennessee
Children of Barnett Bentley and Melinda Brashear are:
1. John Franklin Bentley, born August 1850 in Woodville, Tyler Co., Texas; died 1926 in Randlett, Cotton Co, . Oklahoma. He married Martha Delilah Perry; born 1868 in Arkansas; died 1942 in Randlett, Cotton Co, . Oklahoma.
Notes for John Franklin Bentley:
Notes for Martha Delilah Perry:
Burial: 1942, Fairview/Randlett Cemetery, Randlett, Cotton Co, . Oklahoma
2. David C. Bentley, born April 1852 in Woodville, Tyler Co., Texas. He married Matilda Fuller Bet. 1880 - 1885 in Texas; born October 1869 in Texas.
Notes for David C. Bentley:
3. Mary B. Bentley, born 1855 in Woodville, Tyler Co., Texas. She married George W. Climer July 03, 1880 in Source: Family Search *Not verified!.
4. Nancy Caroline Bentley, born 1857 in Woodville, Tyler Co., Texas. She married J. C. Perry July 07, 1880 in Hill Co., Texas.
5. Thomas W. Bentley, born December 1859 in Woodville, Tyler Co., Texas.
Notes for Thomas W. Bentley:
In the 1870 census he is listed as Thomas E. Bently
Children of Barnett Bentley and Rebecca Hensarling are:
6. Malinda Jane Bentley, born 1863. She married Marion A. Henley.
Notes for Malinda Jane Bentley: Alias/AKA: Belindy
7. Jeramiah Louis Bentley, born 1865; died 1948 in Zavalla, Angelina Co., Texas. He married Amanda J. Warren January 17, 1889 in Angelina Co., Texas (Source: RootsWeb).
Notes for Jeramiah Louis Bentley:
I believe this may be the "Uncle Louis" who I have been told may have raised some of Benjamin and Voila Bentley's children after their deaths. I have not found any proof yet however.
Texas General Land Office Land Grant Search
8. Benjamin Albert Bentley, born 1870 in Tyler Co., Texas; died 1905 in Concord, Angelina Co., Texas. He married Viola Turpin September 17, 1891 in Homer, Angelina Co., Texas; born 1873 in Monroe, Ouachita Parish, Louisana; died 1899 in Broaddus, San Augustine Co., Texas.
Notes for Benjamin Albert Bentley:
Burial: Concord Cemetary, Zavalla, Angelina Co., Texas
Notes for About Viola Turpin:
9. Margaret M. Bentley, born 1872.
Darryl W. Bauman, age 52, passed away in his home in Black River, Michigan, on May 24, 2008. He was born February 11, 1956, to Donald and Opal Bauman. He was a 1975 graduate of Macomber High School. Darryl pursued his love of flying and avionics throughout his career, which took him to Dallas, Youngstown, Lapeer, Michigan, and finally to Kalitta Air, in Oscoda, Michigan, where he was an engineer. He enjoyed woodworking, fishing, boating, and genealogy research. Surviving are his beloved wife, Donna; mother, Opal Bauman; stepchildren, David P. (Jennifer) Kronemiller and Michele Lynn; sister, Cheri (Tony) Schroeder and two nephews. He was preceded in death by his father, Donald Bauman. He was laid to rest in Springport Cemetery, Harrisville, Michigan.